David Matheson arrived in Wanaka in 1892 and first worked as a musterer and shepherd. In about 1915 he went started a carrying business in partnership with William Trevathan. Initially working with six- and eight-horse wagons, the men carted produce from farms to the nearest railhead. They bought a solid-rimmed Dennis truck with a top speed of 25 km/hr, which is shown loaded with bales of wool from the Stuart and Kinross farm at Wanaka.
Matheson and Tevathan were the first carriers in the district to change completely to motor lorries. The business was sold to Don McLeod in 1939 and later bought by Reid Transport. It is now known as Upper Clutha Transport.
It’s most likely that David married Ida Jamieson Ironside in about 1910 and they had two sons: John Wade Matheson (born about 1912) and Charles Irvine Matheson (born about 1914). Both served in the Second World War, and Irvine (as he seems to have been known) was killed in Italy in December 1944. Ida died in 1920 aged only 38.
Information on the origin of the road name from Queenstown Lakes District Council
Photos from Trevathan family history website.